Looking for a quick and tantalizing dinner solution? Treat your taste buds to Argentinian food with the fan-favorite choripan. Choripan is basically a sausage sandwich made with chorizo, a mildly-spiced Argentinian-style sausage made from a mixture of port, beef, and veal.
No Argentinian-inspired meal is complete without the renowned chimichurri sauce. A delicious sauce that looks more like a marinade, chimichurri is traditionally comprised of finely chopped parsley, minced garlic, olive oil, oregano, and red wine vinegar. Truly a must.
To offset the saltiness of the sausage and the chimichurri, I am adding a side of sweet potato fries, lightly dusted with sea salt and cinnamon. Finally, you cannot have an Argentinean dinner without Malbec, the country’s flagship wine.
Let‘s get cooking!
Argentinian Chorizo Sandwich with Chimichurri Sauce and Sea Salt-Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries
- 6 Argentinian-style chorizos (sausages)
- Soft baguette bread, sliced diagonally in three equal parts, then sliced open lengthwise.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of fresh finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons of fresh finely chopped cilantro
- 3-4 cloves garlic , finely chopped or minced
- 1 tablespoons of dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cracked pepper
Sweet potato fries:
- Frozen package of your favorite brand of sweet potato fries
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
Suggested sandwich toppings:
- Fresh watercress
- Fresh tomato slices
- Thinly-sliced julienne strips of red onion
- Mix all chimichurri ingredients (from olive oil to cracked pepper) together in a bowl. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to release all of the flavors into the oil before using. If time allows, allow sauce to sit for at least 2 hours. Note: Chimichurri can be prepared earlier than needed, and refrigerated for 24 hours, if needed.
- Grill chorizo sausage until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Lightly toast baguette bread pieces for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Prepare frozen sweet potato fries according to package instructions.
- In a large metal mixing bowl, toss cooked fries with sea salt. Add cinnamon and toss again until all fries are mixed well.
Serve it up!
This rustic but flavor-packed meal is simple to prepare. Open each bread slice and lightly spread with chimichurri sauce, then pack in two chorizos. If you want to add additional toppings like watercress, tomato, or onion, add now, then top with chimichurri sauce and close. Serve alongside a generous portion of sweet potato fries.
Buen provecho! Enjoy!
2018 Bodega Norton Reserva Malbec (Mendoza, Argentina)
Bodega Norton Reserva Malbec is characterized by its elegance and complexity. It is made from carefully selected grapes from vineyards aged between 30 and 50 years old. The wine is then aged in French oak barrels and then additionally in bottles before release. The harmonious coexistence of fruit and wood over time has made this a great wine, characterized by elegance and complexity.
Tasting notes: Intense red color with purplish hues. In the nose, it is an expressive wine with ripe black fruits, violets, spices and tobacco. In the mouth, it is wide and fleshy with a lingering finish.
Grapes: 100% Malbec
Food pairing: Grilled and roasted meats, mild to sharp cheeses and dishes with rich sauces.