Spring is in the air and grilling season is fast approaching. We wanted to make something classic that was a little rebellious in nature. Skirt steak with Chimichurri is a fairly common dish, but as with many of our recipes, I love to put a twist on tradition. This superman cooks concept could not have rung more true than when our friends at Rebellious asked us to create a pairing for their brand new Rebellious Red Blend. Our grilled Skirt Steak with Tomatillo Chimichurri was just the right twist.
This red wine is a beautiful blend that evokes the rebellious spirit of nature. It’s unpredictable, unforgiving, and unapologetic. Its bright, vibrant flavors of blueberries and allspice pair perfectly with our bold Skirt Steak with Tomatillo Chimichurri. Our goal was to take a classic dish and create something that would be hearty and bold, yet simple enough to prepare in a short time. This pairing makes a perfect weeknight dinner with a salad or even a side of Tex-Mex Skillet Fiesta Cornbread.
Get creative with the leftovers (if there are any)!
- Warm them up slightly to create the delicious street taco for family taco night.
- Add a dollop of sour cream, a little salsa, a sprinkle of red onions, and some Mexican cheese. You will be instantly transported to Mexico.
We hope you get a little rebellious like us and enjoy this bold, flavorful recipe.
View full recipe here.
Skirt Steak with Tomatillo Chimichurri
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1 tbsp blackening spice
- 6 tomatillos
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 green onions
- 10–12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ C olive oil
- 1 C chopped cilantro
- 2 limes
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut tomatillos in half and green onions in thirds. Place in a bowl with garlic, peppercorns and oil. Toss to coat with oil.
- Transfer to baking sheet along with the cherry tomatoes.
- Roast in oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While the veggies are roasting, coat the steak with the blackening spice and grill for 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place ¾ of the cilantro along with the roasted veggies except for the tomatoes in a food processor and plus 4-5 times. You want it to have some chunks to it.
- Add juice from one lime and salt and stir.
- To slice the steak, find the grain of the meat and cut against it in ¼ inch strips and place on serving plate.
- Pour sauce down the middle and garnish with tomatoes and remaining cilantro.
- Serve while warm.
A classic dish with a rebellious twist, grilled skirt steak is bold, flavorful, and super easy to make. Pairs perfectly with a wine like Rebellious Red Blend, which is bursting with flavors of dark cherry and strawberry jam, brown sugar, dark chocolate, and cola with hints of cardamom, black pepper, sandalwood and licorice.