It’s a hot summer evening after a full day of sunshine, no breeze to break the heat, and humidity past 50%. What drink do you reach for to relax and cool off after a true “dog day” of summer? Port wine is probably not the first thing to come to mind. It is complex and high in alcohol, and its big, full flavors with residual sugar give an overall weightiness in the mouth—excellent for a cold winter night by the fire, not so much when that fire is the sun in July or August.
However, don’t put away the bottle of Ruby or Tawny just yet. Port’s fruity flavors lend it exceptionally well to mixing with delicious cocktails, such as these three refreshing summertime drinks below.
Looking for something even lighter? Try these 4 Pink Port Cocktails, instead.
Port Cocktail Recipes for the Summer
- Fonseca Bin 27 1/2 oz. (1,5 cl)
- Vodka Citron 1 + 1/2 oz. (4,5 cl)
- Lemonade 2 oz. (6 cl)
Fill a highball glass with ice. Add all of the ingredients and stir well. Garnish with a lemon wheel and serve in a highball glass.
- Croft Pink 1 + 1/4 oz. (4 cl)
- Peach infused simple Syrup 1 oz. (3 cl) (see below)
- Sparkling water 3 oz. (9 cl)
- 2 strawberries and 3 blackberries
Place the red fruits in a glass and, then, the peach syrup. Fill the glass with Croft Pink. Top up with sparkling water and stir. Serve over ice. Garnish with berries and serve in a highball glass.
Peach Infused Simple Syrup Recipe: Take equal parts sugar and water, then place in saucepan and heat until the sugar dissolves. Slice two fresh peaches and add to the saucepan. Simmer on low for 30 minutes to create the peach syrup. Strain the syrup and allow to cool.
- Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry 1 + 1/4 oz. (4cl)
- Fresh Orange Juice 3/4 oz. (2 cl)
- Fresh Lime Juice 1/3 oz. (1 cl)
- Simple Syrup 3/4 oz. (2 cl)
Berry Mix Recipe for 25 cocktails
- Red Fruits Pulp (Boiron Brand) 400 g
- Campari 3 + 1/2 oz. (10 cl)
- Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby 10 + 3/4 oz. (30 cl)
Put all ingredients in a blender. Mix for about 5 minutes. Remove from blender and reserve. To preserve, place in the cold.
Fill the glass with crushed ice. Place Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry port, orange juice, and lemon juice. Stir a little. Add the prepared berry mix on top. Finish with garnish of rosemary and fresh blackberries. Serve over double rocks.