‘Tis the season to be…wrapped up in a blanket watching the latest Netflix series or reading a book, and sipping your favorite beverage. Switch up the usual tea or hot cocoa with something just as cozy: one of these delicious winter cocktails. They’re guaranteed to put a smile on your face and make me-time even more relaxing.
3 Winter Cocktails for a Cozy Evening
- Fonseca 20 Year Old Tawny Port 1/2 oz. (1,5cl)
- Rum Bacardi 4 años 1 oz. (3cl)
- Sweet rice starch 1 oz. (3cl) – recipe below
- Lemon Juice 1/2 oz. (1,5l)
- Egg white 3/4 oz. (2,5l)
Dry shake all the ingredients, then shake again with ice. Double strain into a chilled coupe. Rim the edges of a goblet with powdered sugar and serve.
Ingredients for sweet rice starch (recipe for 30 cocktails):
- Carolino Rice (1000g)
- Water 60 oz. (150cl)
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- Nutmeg (10g)
- Sugar (400g)
- In a pan, cook the rice in water for 2 hours at 60 / 90ºC. This will release as much starch as possible. During this process the water will evaporate, so be sure to continually add water. After straining well, separate the starch from the rice. Reserve the liquid part.
- In a saucepan, add the ready starch along with the sugar, cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Cook slowly at 60ºC for 30min. Remove from heat and strain well. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
The Long Hello
Recipe by: Conner Stehr, @shake_and_stehr
3/4 oz Calvados⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
3/4 oz elderflower liqueur⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1 dash aromatic bitters⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Poema Cava Extra Dry to top⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
garnish: grated nutmeg⠀⠀⠀
Mix the Calvados, elderflower liqueur, and aromatic bitters in a cocktail or white wine glass. Top with Cava and garnish with a grating of fresh nutmeg.
View this post on Instagram
- 3/4 oz. (2,5cl) Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Port
- 1 oz. (3cl) Whiskey Bulleit Bourbon (fat-washed with peanut butter) – recipe below
- 1/3 oz. (1cl) Banana flavored Salted caramel – recipe below
- 1 Bar spoon Bitter Fee Brothers Aztec Chocolate
Stir all the ingredients over ice and strain into a old-fashioned glass over one large ice cube. Garnish: with dehydrated banana dipped in cocoa.
Ingredients for Fat-Washed Bourbon with Peanut Butter:
- 23 oz. (70cl) Bulleit Bourbon Whiskey
- 1/4 cup (50g) Peanut Butter
- Fill a pot with water and put it on low heat. Using a water bath, melt the peanut butter, letting it become liquid. Add to another container.
- Add the whiskey to the melted peanut butter. Freeze the mixture for 24 hours. The fat will freeze, leaving the liquid whiskey with a peanut butter flavor: strain through a coffee filter and store the peanut butter whiskey for up to 1 month in the refrigerator.
Ingredients for Banana Flavored Salted caramel:
17 oz. (50cl) Liquid Caramel
2 Organic Bananas (with the peel)
- Cut the banana into small pieces and reserve the peel. Place the liquid caramel in a pan (you can buy it ready-made or choose to make your own). Add the broken banana to pieces, along with its peel and the salt. Stire and cook over low heat for 2 hours.
- Let the mixture cool, and strain. Store cold up to 2 weeks.