Alpha M






Colchagua Valley


Deep nose, but really fresh at the same time. Currants, blackberries and chili-pepper chocolate with cedary and meaty undertones. This is really juicy, with a tight, tensely framed palate, underscored by lots of creamy, dusty tannins. A lengthy, refined and elegant expression of cabernet sauvignon, but a strong statement from Colchagua. Drink or hold.

Montes Alpha M is the result of an extremely limited production and a rigorous selection of the grapes, one by one, led by Aurelio Montes. Coming from the Colchagua Valley, it is one of the best and most awarded wines of Chile. The vineyards that give rise to Montes Alpha M are located in the Apalta zone of the Colchagua Valley. The soils are of granitic origin and are shallow in the upper, mountainous sectors. They vary in the clay content, depth, amount of organic matter, and especially the types of rocks and stones they are made up of. The soils origin can also range from fluvial to glacial, which shows the great diversity of soils in our vineyards. Some zones are influenced by the Tinguiririca River and others by mudslides and the detachment of material from high above in the mountain chain that delimits the valley.

80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot
80% of the wine’s components were aged for 18 months in new French oak barrels. The remaining 20% was kept in barrels of two or three previous uses, for the same amount of time.
At the beginning of the season, winter in Apalta presented itself with mild temperatures and rainfall close to 13 inches, a considerable drop compared to the previous year’s 20 inches. Winemakers started irrigating later in the season because of the rainy and cool spring, which allowed them to reserve water for summer. Summer was dry in the Colchagua Valley. It was warm, but not warm enough to damage the vines or grapes, and they didn’t suffer any other climatic events that could have harmed the health of the grapes. Winemakers implemented controlled water-stress conditions between fruit set and veraison, limiting berry size and achieving a great skin-to-pulp ratio, which resulted in superb color and concentration, rich tannins, and remarkable aromas. The weather presented good conditions for harvesting red varieties. There was no rain in March or April, so winemakers waited for full phenolic ripeness, without the threat of disease that could have affected the quality of the wine. In short, this was not a year of detrimental weather events, so the health and quality of the grapes gave clean musts of great potential.
Aromas of raspberry and strawberry with plum and ripe grapes followed by toasted notes of nutmeg and nuts.
Pairs well with duck breast, lamb or pork chops, pasta with pesto, lamb masala, and chicken with mushroom sauce.
3.85 g/l
Pin It