Difficulty Level:

_____ is one of the newest regions, added in 2014 to Piemonte’s collection of 17 DOCGs. Wines made in this appellation are made from 100% Barbera grapes.

Correct! Wrong!

Italy’s Trentino-Alto Adige has no DOCGs but nine DOCs spanning throughout the region. ____ covers sparkling wines that are made in the traditional (Champagne) method.

Correct! Wrong!

While Sicily has 23 DOCs, the only DOCG in this region is _____, where wines are made from a blend of Nero d’Avola and Frappato.

Correct! Wrong!

Molise is one of Italy’s less famous producing regions, home to four DOCs and no DOCGs. In this region, ___ DOC produces red and rosé wines made mostly from Montepulciano and white wines that are predominately composed of Trebbiano Toscano.

Correct! Wrong!

In Puglia, ____ is one of four DOCGs. Classified wine here is made from Uva di Troia, which must comprise of at least 65% of the blend. Before release, the wine must be aged for at least 24 months.

Correct! Wrong!

Veneto has 14 DOCGs and 29 DOC zones and is one of Italy’s largest and most famous quality wine producing regions. While there are many special wines made in Veneto, ____ is made from grapes that have been dried out for several weeks (or even months) after harvest. This wine is made from at least 70% Garganega and up to 30% Verdicchio grapes.

Correct! Wrong!

Sardinia has only one DOCG but 19 DOCs. Sardinia’s only DOCG is _____ and was classified in 1996. These wines are made from 100% Vermentino.

Correct! Wrong!

The smallest wine producing region of Italy is Valle d'Aosta. Because this region borders France and Switzerland, there is a mix of French and Italian grapes grown locally. This region does not have any DOCGs, and its only DOC is ____.

Correct! Wrong!

Out of Tuscany’s 11 DOCGs, _____ is world famous for its powerful reds made from a Sangiovese clone called Prugnolo Gentile. 70% of the final wine must be made from Prugnolo Gentile and the remaining 30% can be made with local varieties, including up to 5% of the white grape Malvasia.

Correct! Wrong!

_____ is one of Umbria’s two DOCG zones. The wines from this region are produced from the native Sagrantino grape and are known for their power and deep flavors.

Correct! Wrong!

Name that Italian DOC or DOCG - Round 2!
Molto bene!

Italian Sign

There’s always room to grow when it comes to Italian wine regions. The writers of Wine365 include a series of Italian experts and are constantly releasing interesting articles that will improve your knowledge. Be sure to subscribe so you never miss your next lesson!
Bravo!

Borolo Sign

Looks like you know your way around Italy. If you are interested in learning more about Italy, check out the other articles on Wine365 for more educational content about Italy and beyond.
Bravissimo!

Biserno Sign

Well done, you know your Italian wine regions! Share your results with friends to see if they’re up to the challenge of beating your high score!

Share your Results:

Author

Gabrielle earned a Level 2 certificate from the Wine & Spirits Education Trust (WSET) and has continued her wine education by becoming a Certified Specialist of Wine (CSW) in 2020. In addition to writing for Wine365, she also provides creative contributions and research analytics.

Write A Comment


Pin It

Sign Up For Wine Knowledge

Get insider tips from Wine 365
delivered straight to your inbox,
and you’ll be an expert making empowered wine selections in no time!

We respect your email privacy

LindsayRussell_45