Difficulty Level:

Calabria does not have any DOCGs but has nine DOCs. Most famously, Calabria celebrates wine from _____. The red wines from this region are based on the Gaglioppo grape, and the white wines must feature at least 80% Greco Bianco.

Correct! Wrong!

Liguria is a coastal town with many independent family producers. It has eight DOCs and does not have any DOCGs. One well-known DOC from the area is _____, which is a dry, aromatic white wine blend made from Bosco, Albarola, and Vermentino.

Correct! Wrong!

Friuli-Venezia Giulia has four DOCGs total. The correct answer below is a region that produces a sweet white wine from 85% Picolit. The remaining 15% can be made of any of the other permitted non-aromatic white varieties grown in that region.

Correct! Wrong!

_____ is one of Marche’s four DOCGs, promoted to DOCG classification in 2004. Wines from this region must be made from 100% Montepulciano, must have a minimum alcohol content of 12.5%, and must have been aged for longer than two years prior to release.

Correct! Wrong!

Latium (Lazio) has three DOCGs and 27 DOCs. ____ is a designation for subtly sweet wines grown in the larger area of Frascati DOC. This wine is composed of 70% Malvasia di Candia and/or Malvasia del Lazio with the other 30% coming from other authorized white Latium varietals.

Correct! Wrong!

Campania is home to four DOCGs and 15 DOCs. While Campania’s DOCGs are all quite famous, _____ is known for producing high quality wines composed of at least 85% Aglianico from the province of Avellino. The remaining 15% can be made of other local grape varieties but the majority tend to be 100% Aglianico.

Correct! Wrong!

Basilicata only has one DOCG wine producing region. The wines from this DOCG are made from Aglianico grapes which are grown around Monte Vulture.

Correct! Wrong!

In Abruzzo, there is only one DOCG which was upgraded from DOC to DOCG status in 2003. This DOCG requires a minimum 90% of Montepulciano with the remaining 10% from Sangiovese. Select the correct region below:

Correct! Wrong!

_____ was the first white wine to receive DOCG classification in all of Italy. Produced in Emilia-Romagna, this wine must be made from 100% Albana grapes and can be made in Bianco, Passito, or Riserva Passito styles. Emilia-Romagna is home to only two DOCG regions.

Correct! Wrong!

This special DOCG is one of Lombardia’s five DOCGs. It is famous for producing high-quality sparkling wines, made in the traditional method like those from the Champagne region of France.

Correct! Wrong!

Name that Italian DOC or DOCG
Keep Studying!

There’s always room to grow when it comes to Italian wine regions. The writers of Wine365 include a series of Italian experts who are constantly releasing interesting articles that will improve your knowledge. Be sure to subscribe so you never miss your next lesson!

Looks like you know your way around Italy. If you’re interested in learning more about Italy, check out the other articles on Wine365 for more educational content about Italy and beyond.

Well done, you know your Italian wine regions! Share your results with friends to see if they’re up to the challenge of beating your high score! Then test your knowledge on other Wine365 advanced quizzes.

Share your Results:


Gabrielle earned a Level 2 certificate from the Wine & Spirits Education Trust (WSET) and has continued her wine education by becoming a Certified Specialist of Wine (CSW) in 2020. In addition to writing for Wine365, she also provides creative contributions and research analytics.

Write A Comment

Pin It

Sign Up For Wine Knowledge

Get insider tips from Wine 365
delivered straight to your inbox,
and you’ll be an expert making empowered wine selections in no time!

We respect your email privacy